Published Date: 02/19/19
There are endless opportunities to have fun with your kids in Seattle. Whether you are visiting for the first time, or have lived here for years, every corner of the city offers new and exciting ways to experience the Pacific Northwest! Here are my top four favorite ways to enjoy the Emerald City as a family!
Like any great city, Seattle has some excellent museums & educational activities to share with your kiddos! Some favorites include:
- Pacific Science Center - “Where we bring science to life!” - extensive rotating exhibits making science fun and accessible for kids. Also includes IMAX & Laser Dome shows! https://www.pacificsciencecenter.org
- MoPOP - Museum of Pop Culture features exhibits about everything from Marvel: Universe of Super Heros to the Fantasy and Science Fiction Hall of Fame - Both the Pacific Science Center & the MoPOP are located adjacent to the Space Needle and the Chihuly Glass Museum - https://www.mopop.org/
- MOHAI - Seattle’s Museum of History and Industry - journey to Seattle’s past through maritime exploration & the changing typography of the Pacific Northwest region - Bonus points for being situated right on Lake Union & next to the Center for Wooden Boats - another great stop for the afternoon! - https://mohai.org
Tours are a wonderful way to experience some very unique Seattle attractions!
- Theo Chocolate Tour - Our own Willy Wonka experience with lots of free samples (wink, wink!) - stop by and say hello to The Fremont Troll afterwards! - https://www.theochocolate.com/factory-tours/
- Underground Seattle Tour - A two hour walking tour (be sure your kiddos are up for that!) that gives you a great look at the history & background of Seattle. https://www.beneath-the-streets.com/
- “Tour” the Sound and ride a ferry to Bainbridge Island - just a 30 minute ride across the Sound. The view of Seattle from the water is amazing!
Whether you are visiting, or call Seattle home, these are some iconic, can’t-miss spots!
- Ballard Locks - Waterway between the Sound and Lake Union - you can even see salmon jumping up the fish ladder during certain times of the year! Grab fish and chips at Red Mill afterwards for a classic PNW lunch!
- Gas Works Park - THE classic view of the Seattle skyline. Fly a kite on top of the hill on particularly windy days!
- Pike Place Market / Space Needle - Catch a fish, check out the infamous Gum Wall, or see the new observatory deck at the Space Needle!
We Pacific Northwesterners love nothing more than to get out to the mountains for a great hike on the weekends! There are SO many options within a short drive - the WTA (https://www.wta.org/) is a great resource for trails (and current conditions) but here are a few favorites that are accessible for families:
- Franklin Falls - 2 miles, round trip - easy hike to big reward: 70ft waterfall!
- Gold Creek Pond - Fantastic view of the Cascade mountains, and a paved ADA accessible loop!
- Rattlesnake Ledge - Moderate hike for more adventurous families with a beautiful view of the valley below.
About the Author
Meredith McKee Ruth is the founder of local Seattle organization Om Mama Co.. Om Mama Co. is a collective of photography & wellness businesses serving a community of anticipating, expecting and new moms. Their mission is to connect, support and celebrate women during this season of life, by encouraging mind & body strength, friendship and FUN! If you’d like to learn more about topics like this, and join other mamas in community, use coupon code “paperpinecone15” to get 15% off your mama membership! Visit ommamaco.com to learn more!
Paper Pinecone is a comprehensive directory of preschool, daycare, and before and after school programs. We give you the tools you need to make your childcare search easier.